The Code Compliance Division of Development Services handles violations of codes including zoning and building codes associated with residences and commercial buildings. Reported violations are usually assigned to and handled by a code compliance officer. Some of the more common violations deal with:
- Business operating without a tax receipt
- Junk / trash rubbish, abandoned refrigerators / freezers, trash cans, construction materials
- RVs / boats / campers / abandoned or inoperative vehicles
- Illegal signs, lot overgrowth, graffiti, tree protection, obstruction or planting in right of way
- Housing code exterior, wall and fence maintenance, exterior storage, driveways
- Housing code interior, construction without a building permit
- Vacation Rentals
- Commercial activities and landscape maintenance in residential areas outside of permitted hours
- Other miscellaneous activity against ordinances, usually building and zoning
Diane Kennedy, Code Compliance Manager made a slide presentation to CCNA Members at the June 3, 2023, Meeting. Richard Ellis, Special Magistrate, was there to answer questions regarding the magistrate’s role. Video recording (tba)
There are three available options to report a code violation:
- Use the City website(s) – The City’s Citizen Connect Portal may be used to report a suspected code violation involving residential and commercial code violations.
- Contact Code Compliance Division Directly – Call the Code Compliance Division at (941) 263-6417, email them, or send a letter to: City of Sarasota Code Compliance Department, Annex Bldg 2nd Floor, 1565 1st Street, Sarasota FL 34236. Be sure to give the street address and a brief description of the potential violation.
- CoS Click-2-Fix – an easy to use mobile app to quickly snap a picture, identify your location and report issues with code compliance and other violations. There is also a web-based version of CoS Click To Fix.
Code Violations – (Residential and Commercial Related Issues)
To report a violation, you must first Register / Log In to the city’s Citizen Connect Portal. Once registered you can Check the Status of your report. The portal also allows you may Review Submitted Case Records current or historic by a variety of search criteria without signing in.
Note: By signing in your contact information and the report or request are considered public records and subject to disclosure under the Florida Public Records Act. Also, Per Senate Bill 60, effective July 1, 2021, anonymous code compliance complaints may no longer be submitted and investigated. If the reported violation presents an imminent threat to public health, safety, or welfare or imminent destruction of habitat or sensitive resources call the Code Compliance Division at (941) 263-6417.
Code Compliance Inspectors and Zones
Sarasota is separated into 7 zones. A code compliance inspector (name, phone, cell, and email available by clicking on the area of the map) is assigned to each zone and works 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Mon-Fri. There is also an additional code compliance inspector that can assist with all areas of the city who works 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Tue-Sat. If you have an urgent matter that requires assistance on Saturday from our weekend code compliance inspector, send an email to email@example.com. This mailbox is monitored throughout the day every Saturday.