For more than 100 years, the Florida League of Cities has been the united voice for Florida’s municipalities. When Florida’s city officials formed a group of municipal governments for the first time in 1922, they wanted to shape legislation, share the advantages of cooperative action, and exchange ideas and experiences. Growing from a small number of cities and towns, their membership now represents more than 400 cities in the Sunshine State.
The League represents municipal government interests at the state and federal levels with a dedicated team of legislative advocates that help ensure local voices are making local choices in our cities.
All five Sarasota City Commissioners have been appointed to serve on a Florida League of Cities 2023-2024 legislative policy committee. Committee appointments and supporting City of Sarasota staff members include:
- Mayor Kyle Battie: Municipal Administration Committee; Staff member: Jennifer Jorgensen, Governmental Relations Manager
- Vice Mayor Liz Alpert: Transportation and Intergovernmental Relations Committee; Staff member: Nik Patel, City Engineer
- Jen Ahearn-Koch: Utilities, Natural Resources and Public Works Committee; Staff member: Camden Mills, Capital Projects Manager
- Erik Arroyo: Vice Chair; Finance, Taxation and Personnel Committee; Staff member: Kelly Strickland, Financial Administration Director
- Debbie Trice: Land Use and Economic Development Committee; Staff member: Steve Cover, Planning Director
- 2023 Legislative Platform
- Bill Summaries – Updated weekly during Legislative Session, this report includes summaries of bills with municipal impact and their current status.
- On Tap at the Cap – A weekly roundup of bill movement and updates on priority issues sent each Friday during legislative session.
- Legislative Updates – Action Alerts and Legislative Updates for the 2023 Legislative Session listed in ascending order by date.