Lou Costa, Chair (EC Past Chair)
Pat Robinson (Deputy City Mgr)
Rex Troche (Police Chief)
Chronic Neighborhood Speeding Mitigation
CCNA, City Staff & Sarasota Police Department have developed a 3-month trial program.
- Neighborhoods will provide specific streets and the optimum time for monitoring.
- The Police Traffic Division will dedicate 2 hours per day rotating thru the neighborhoods. Speeding tickets and not warnings have been requested. Allocating 2 hours per day, our 32 neighborhoods will be police monitored 12 times a year (once a month). If the city allocates 4 hours per day, our 32 neighborhoods will be police monitored 24 times a year (twice a month).
- City will provide results at the monthly CCNA meetings.
- Two mobile speed monitors will be purchased for neighborhood use. These will be rotated weekly thru the neighborhoods.
Long Term Goal
Establish a cost incentive program for installing permanent speed monitors if neighborhoods warrant it.
- Possibly a 30 – 70% shared cost (along with neighborhood grants – $3000 city & $10,000 County)
- Penny Tax 4 allocated $2,400,00 for speed mitigation starting in 2025.
There is no silver bullet solution. This is not intended to eliminate the speeding, but it is a step in the right direction.
updated November 2022